Ok, figured I'd make a little Work In
Progress page on my newest endeavor.
I figure there's no sense in having
that tab stick out of the knife, doing nothing, so, mine will open beer.
Check back from time to time, to see the progress.
3 February, 2011
Here's the drawing I am beginning
And here is what I have so far.
Just some waterjet titanium for a few knives
Some Blades, and Pivot/Stop Pin
Supports for Laminate Only handles.
And an overview of all the stuff I
have on hand.
February 4, 2011
Time to start cutting out my material with the tile saw.
Then mill some pockets for the titanium inlay
Then epoxy them in
Now, I'll ream the holes in the titanium slabs, since all the waterjet did was put them on location, and undersized for me.
Ok, I had a little more time to kill
tonight, so I put the stop pin, pivot, and keychain holes in the
February 5, 2011
Ok, lets hope the mailman brings the parts I ordered a week ago, priority mail, or I am at a standstill.
Here's what I have so far today.
A little surface grinding on the inside of the handle slabs to make those inlays flush.
Here's how they look now, surface
I need some tooling plates for the rest of the machining, so I knocked these out real quick.
One for the perimeter milling.
And one you will see put to use
later, on the blades.
And that is where I stand until some
pivot pins show up.
February 7, 2011
I'm back at it.
Here's what I was waiting on.
Since I am only holding this to my fixture with 1/8" pins, and 2-56 screws, I decided to grind off the bulk of the extra material from my handle slabs.
Here's laying out the profile with a
And here they are, all ground, and ready to get machined.
Drilling the stop pins.
Getting ready to mill the perimeter
Milling the perimeter of the handles.
Counterboring the pivot.
All done machining.
February 8, 2011
Today is Blade Day.
First, is a little video of milling
the blades perimeter.
Here's what they look like when they
are done with this operation.
And then, since this is a
wharncliffe blade, I can mill the bevels in.
When that's all done, I go to the bandsaw, and split the blades into their individual pieces.
Now, I clean up the saw cut, and
give the blade it's final shape.
Cleaning up the bevel grinds before
Periphery clean up on the handle slabs with the horizontals.
Next I clean up the chamfers.
A little out of order now, as I
actually made the envelopes, and got the parts in the oven before I did
the last two grinding operations, but I think we'll be OK.
Here's my rig.
One pouch made, with 2 blades in it.
And now, here they are coming out of the oven.
A rough flatness check, and testing
the Rockwell Hardness to verify my heat treat.
Here's the inside of the oven as
it's cooling down.
A quick look at a blade before it goes in the tempering oven.
9 February, 2011
Time to clean up the perimeter of the blades after heat treat.
Prepping some screws to be ground to length.
Shortening the pivots on the lathe.
Buffing some screw heads on a Scotchbrite wheel.
Some early shots while I am waiting for video to upload.
February 9 and 10, 2011
More coming soon...
Copyright © 2006 Brian Fellhoelter